Monday, March 30, 2009

Domain Names and SEO

I received a call from a client here in Denver, Colorado. He is in the process of writing a book and was agonizing over just the right domain name. He wants to do a blog and his book is along the lines of abundance. He wanted to know from a SEO perspective if it would be better to use his name or a descriptive domain name with keywords.
From a personal standpoint I like to use domain names that are descriptive of what you do or offer and have a great keyword or two. I say that for a couple of reasons: keywords in your domain will never hurt and hopefully it will keep you on track to the theme of the blog. For example, if my blog title is Denver SEO Speaker-I need to keep with that general theme in order to have a meaningful presence in the searches. Conversely, if my domain name were Steve Mertz I could be all over the board in my writing. The most important thing to remember is to use keyword rich titles in your blog posts and support those titles with unique content that actually uses the keywords and phrases you want to rank for.
Last point-when you have people link to your blog ask them to use descriptive keywords that are relevant to your SEO efforts. There is no substitute for quality inbound links that include your important keywords.

Here is an interesting article and comments from Problogger on How to Choose a Domain Name.

No comments: